Thursday, October 29, 2009

Carl Sagan


It was unfortunately, only recently that I discovered Carl Sagan; earlier this same year, in fact. Since, I have watched his famous series: Cosmos, read two or more of his books, and otherwise studied his myriad contributions to space exploration. The man immediately became one of my personal heroes. And the more of his books that I read, I find more hopes and dreams, more appreciations to be held in common between us. The more I read, the more I learn of things I never knew. The man was amazing, and a gift to our time. So needless to say, I have been wanting to pay a humble tribute to him, through the art I make. Here is the sketch for that and the rough vector progress. Not much to show for the moment. But with a little time, I'll have a refined piece with a background. Stay tuned for updates. And remember, we are but a pale blue dot, floating like mote of dust suspended in a sunbeam. Oh and that apple pie is crumbly. . .but, good. :)

4 comments:

Inverce said...

This is too awesome for words! My jr high science teacher introduced us to Sagan but I was really hooked when I read Contact. I was so impressed with how well it was written.

Bill Robinson said...

Really nice colors in this one! ALso fun to see your original sketch, which has a very differnt look and feel from the final piece. I think you should experiment with putting some linework into your final paintings to bring some of that initial spark and life back into them...just my two cents. :D

Christopher Vear said...

Thank you both for your comments! Inverce, I love contact. I wish I'd have had some kind of exposure to him when I was a child. He's inspired me so much as an adult. I wonder what things his kermitty/hugo weavingy voice might have put into my head back before I had made all of my big career path decisions. :P
Bill! It's not done yet! that's just a rough vector pass. He's going to have WAAAAAY more life and detail in the final piece. The background will also likely be something good instead of something I ripped out of an earlier piece. ;) as for putting line back in. I had never considered doing that with vector. I've always found it more rewarding to be able to make shapes and characters read without linework. And the last few years have been me challenging myself to actually do it. I'm always striving to get that liveliness without hanging onto linework, maybe one day. :\

Jared said...

badass man!
crumbly but good!