Friday, October 28, 2011

God of Despair


I haven't painted traditionally in years. Years! and even then, the last time I painted, it had been a while, and they were pretty terrible.... Seriously, if you go back far enough on this blog you'll see some of the creepiest paintings anywhere. But lately, I caught some kind of bug and decided to give it another go. I've been practicing every night this week trying to re-learn the media I was once familiar with. It took a while to get anything I liked out of my head onto paper, but persistence paid off. This is a little Gouache on 5''x5'' Claybord I just painted tonight (after many failed attempts). I thought I'd put it where people could see it. I hope you like it half as much as I enjoyed making it. The idea is that he's a long forgotten deity represented in stone: his façade, long forgotten, is weathered and worn by ages of elements, and he laments in the weeds that grow over him. Sad... or maybe he was an asshole and he deserved it, I don't know ... gods can be that way sometimes.

5 comments:

Maggie Tran said...

Looks like a great step towards a long and fruitful relationship with gouache :D Love the texture.

Eric Royal said...

Post the failures too!

Christopher Vear said...

HELL NO! ;P

Ashley Boyd said...

Why is the Aztec (Mayan?) god crying?

Christopher Vear said...

Because He's been forgotten! :(