Tuesday, December 20, 2011

This week in Drawings


 Hello again dear comrades, I'm sorry I missed last week, I'll try to post something extra this week to make up for it. I was doing pretty good with my goal of posting some good drawings each week and drawing everyday, but combine a week of poor inspiration and with bad habit-keeping and you get the perfect storm for no posts. Hopefully it won't happen again. So for this week, here are some drawings!

Here is a little piece I did for the Crowd Star Art Department's Secret Santa Event. My Friend, Jose Fuentes found this on his desk last Friday Morning. I hope he liked it. It's watercolor on coldpress. I am mostly okay with how it came out, though if I could do it again I would have spent more time planning the color. still it made a fun exercise and I enjoyed making it.



Here is another random drawing loosely inspired by ancient American architecture and sculpture. I spent a long time shading this one with the weird swirly hatching, It was really fun but I should spend more time on composition and structure before I get all squirrely on stylistic details... cause the end result is this... wobbly thing that wasn't really well-planned enough to justify the care spent in rendering it. I'm sensing a theme here #fucking planning.

Here are some other random drawings, just for fun.
I spend a lot of time worrying that I'm doing a lot of the same thing over and over again, exempli gratia: faces fucking carved into stone. They appeal to me as a subject matter because they are fun to stylize and place in environments. There is ample room for symbolism in the shapes that constitute their designs and also in the decorative motifs that adorn them. But also because they are commonly the crowning megalithic markings of ruined civilizations. The reasons megalithic ruins and civilizations-lost inspire me are many and sufficiently so to form another blog post entirely... But that's for another time. As for the worrying, I am trying to do less of it. I figure that even if I draw the same subject matter over and over again, at the very least, I am making more art.


 More art than I would if I were sweating over a blank sketchbook thinking of the "Stuff I Have Already Drawn and Everyone is Going to Think I'm a Hack if I Keep Drawing this Shit" list. So onward I go. That's all for this post, until next time.

2 comments:

Daisy Church said...

don't let it get you down! I found that once you start trying to back-log and play catch up, you get overwhelmed and stop drawing completely, so don't dwell on it or stress about "making up missed drawings." just keep drawing and posting! (says the girl who's like, months behind on her own blog : P

great stuff per usual!!

Jared said...

Really nice work as always dude!